COE New Student Orientation
Welcome fall 2021 students!
Congratulations on being admitted into the College of Engineering! This page outlines important orientation information that will help to ease your transition to UIC. If you need additional help after you have read all the content below, please contact a member of our advising team.
- Incoming first-year and transfer undergraduates will be asked to complete placement exams, if applicable, along with an online orientation. Access to placement exams can be found in the UIC Connect Tab in your my.uic.edu student portal.
- Students who complete any required placement exams will be sent information to register for a synchronous (live) online orientation. Note: Live orientation sessions will begin June 1, 2021.
- Incoming first-year and transfer undergraduates will be asked to complete placement exams, if applicable, along with an online orientation and Intake form. Access to placement exams can be found in the UIC Connect Tab in your my.uic.edu student portal.
- Engineering students must sign up for a synchronous (live) online orientation. College of Engineering advisors will contact students in the order in which they have registered for the live orientation.
- Engineering students can expect to receive an email from an advisor in their UIC email between one and seven days before their scheduled orientation date. This email will contain course registration information.
If you are a recently readmitted student, you are not required to register for orientation. Instead, please email email@example.com for assistance with course selection.
About College of Engineering advising
All engineering students have two types of advisors in the College:
- One is your Academic Resource Center (ARC) advisor, also referred to as your COE college advisor. Your ARC advisor is assigned to you when you are first admitted into UIC.
- The other is your faculty/department advisor, who works in the department where you choose to major. Your faculty/department advisor will be assigned to you during the 10th week of your first semester at UIC.
The 10th week of the fall and spring terms is considered Advising Week for the College of Engineering. Before Advising Week takes place, all continuing engineering students will have an “advising hold” placed on their account. This hold will prevent you from registering for the following term until you have completed the academic advising process for the semester. You will be responsible for reaching out to your faculty/department advisor, once assigned, to schedule an advising appointment during Advising Week. You will repeat this process in every semester until you graduate from the College of Engineering.
Next steps after completing online orientation
Important note: If you did not complete the UIC online orientation module, please do so ASAP. You can sign up via UIC Connect in your my.uic.edu student portal.
Submit your final transcripts or test scores to the Office of Admissions. Most local community colleges will have UIC listed in their electronic transcript ordering system, and all you must do is select UIC and submit the request. However, if your school does not, you can request to have your transcripts mailed to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions, MC 018
University of Illinois at Chicago
Suite 1100 Student Services Building
1200 West Harrison Street
Chicago, Illinois 60607-7161
The deadline to finalize your schedule and register is September 3, 2021.
Once your ARC advisor has contacted you via email with a recommended course schedule, you are able to proceed to register for courses. There are two ways to register for classes:
When registering, you must meet all the prerequisites for the courses you choose. Otherwise, you risk being dropped with penalties.
Here are some resources that may help you:
Contact your advisor
Your Academic Resource Center (ARC) advisor can answer most of your immediate questions about the College and the policies. For assistance, including for questions about recommended courses, simply reply to the email you receive from your ARC advisor or request to schedule an appointment.
Transfer Articulation Petitions
Courses you did not earn transfer credit for will appear on your DARS Report as:
Engr Syl Req’d
If you believe these should be considered for credit to fulfill a degree requirement, we require that you submit a Transfer Articulation Petition. This request should be accompanied by a course syllabus outlining topics covered weekly throughout the term. Once the petition is submitted, please expect a response within a week.
Check your UIC email
Students can check their UIC email via gmail! We encourage you to check your UIC email often. Also regularly check the iAdvise system, because pertinent information about course availability, advising, or upcoming deadlines is usually communicated electronically.
- Obtain your UIC I-CARD
- Submit the Campus Care Health Insurance waiver if you would like to opt out of the school health insurance
- Set up a Payment Plan (if applicable) through the University Bursar
- Review Tuition and Fees
- Check your Financial Aid Award Letter (if applicable) in my.uic.edu portal or contact the Office of Financial Aid with any questions related to your aid
- UIC Bookstore for academic supplies and/or UIC gear
- UIC Calendar: The first day of school is August 23, 2021. The last day to finalize your course schedule is September 3, 2021.