COE New Student Orientation
Welcome Spring 2024 students!
Congratulations on being admitted into the College of Engineering. To ease your transition to UIC we have outlined a variety of resources you may need to reference, beginning most importantly with the orientation process. We hope that you find this information useful as you begin your transition to UIC.
Orientation Heading link
Preparing for Orientation
- All incoming First Year and Transfer Undergraduate students will be asked to complete an asynchronous online orientation and placement exams, if applicable. Access to placement exams can be found in the UIC Connect Tab in your my.uic.edu
- Review your u.achieve Degree Audit Report found in your student portal my.uic.edu to check how your AP/IB, A-Level or Transfer Credits are applicable toward your degree. Advisors will use information posted on your uAchieve Degree Audit to provide course recommendations.
- Students should request to have official final transcripts or AP scorecards sent to the Office of Admissions as soon as they become available to ensure any applicable transfer credit is posted in time. (Transfer credits can take 3-4 weeks to be processed.) Information on sending transcripts can be found here.
- Students who complete the asynchronous online orientation and any required placement exams will be sent information to register for an in-person orientation.
- Spring 2024 in-person orientation dates will be held on 12/12, 12/13, 12/14, 01/03 and 01/04 registration is on a first-come first-serve basis
Week Before Scheduled Orientation
- It is mandatory for engineering students to sign up for an in-person orientation. COE advisors will be contacting students in the order that they have registered for the in-person orientation sessions.
- Engineering students can expect to be contacted by a COE advisor via their UIC email with course recommendations and registration instructions prior to their scheduled orientation.
- Students should register BEFORE attending their in-person orientation to allow advisors time to review/approve your schedule and provide any recommended changes. Note: Some classes may also need departmental approval which can delay your registration if you wait until the day of orientation to enroll in your courses.
During the College portion of the in-person orientation day students will meet with a COE Representative as a group and will learn more about the College and its resources. We will address what to expect as a new student and answer common questions from students.
Registration Assistance: Orientation Leaders will be available to help troubleshoot any registration error messages.
If you are a recently readmitted student, you are not required to register for orientation. You can contact email@example.com for assistance on course selection. Please remember to include your UIN in your message.
Advising in the College of Engineering Heading link
All Engineering students have two types of advisors in the College. One is your Academic Resource Center (ARC) Advisor also referred to as your COE College Advisor and the other is your Faculty/Department Advisor within your major department. Your ARC advisor is assigned to you when you are first admitted into UIC.
However, your Faculty/Department Advisor will be assigned to you during the 10th week of your first semester at UIC. The 10th week of each fall and spring term is considered Faculty Advising Week for the College of Engineering. All continuing Engineering students will have an advising hold placed on their account that will prevent registration for the following term. Students will be responsible to reach out to their major department to schedule an appointment with a Faculty/Department Advisor during Faculty Advising Week. This will be an ongoing process until the student graduates.
Registration Resources Heading link
Deadline to finalize schedule is January 19, 2024
Once a COE Academic Advisor has contacted you via email with a recommended course schedule you are able to proceed to register for courses. There are two ways to register for classes. Please see the links below for your reference:
When registering, you must meet prerequisites for classes, otherwise you risk being dropped with penalties.
Additional Registration Resources:
Contact your Advisor
Your Academic Resource Center Advisor can answer most of your immediate questions about the College and the policies. Therefore, any questions or concerns you have about your recommended courses you can simply reply to the email sent by your advisor.
Evaluation of Transfer Credits
Engineering courses you did not earn transfer credit for, will appear as Unknown, Engr Syl Req’d, or Syl Req’d-Engr on your u.achieve degree Report. If you believe these should be considered for credit to fulfill a degree requirement, we require that you submit a Transfer Articulation Petition. This request should be accompanied by a course syllabus outlining topics covered weekly throughout the term. Once the Petition is submitted, please expect a response within a week.
Non-Engineering classes such as Math, Science, and Humanities courses that are articulated as Unknown, LAS, Syl Req’d or LAS Trfr can be evaluated by submitting the course syllabus to the following inbox, firstname.lastname@example.org . You should include your name, UIN and course information to have it evaluated by the corresponding department. Evaluation of these courses may take 3-4 weeks.
Students with Advanced Placement Program (AP) , International Baccalaureate, or A-Level credit can reference the link below for the list of scores accepted by UIC.
Check your UIC Email
We encourage you to check your UIC email often and the iAdvise system as pertinent information about course availability , advising, or upcoming deadlines are usually communicated electronically.
Additional Resources Heading link
- Obtaining your UIC I-CARD
- Submit the Campus Care Health Insurance waiver if you would like to opt out of the school health insurance
- Set up a Payment Plan (if applicable) through the University Bursar
- Review Tuition and Fees
- Check your Financial Aid Award Letter (if applicable) in my.uic.edu portal or contact Office of Financial Aid for questions related to your aid
- UIC Bookstore
- UIC Calendar First day of school 01/08/24 last day to finalize schedule 01/19/24
Scheduled Closed Days:
Please note the College of Engineering will be closed on the following days:
- November 23, 2023, and November 24, 2023
- December 22, 2023, to January 1, 2024
- We will resume normal business hours will resume on January 2, 2024, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm