Engineering Experience Camp
Our next camp experience will be held in summer 2022!
We plan to return with a bigger and better camp experience in summer 2022 that incorporates activities and experiences from many UIC Engineering departments.
UIC Engineering is home to multiple departments that represent different disciplines in engineering. In 2022 summer, five of these departments will participate in the camp:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
This five-day program includes lunch, and optional after care is provided. Each day, students get a chance to experiment—literally—with a particular field. Participants complete hands-on challenges based on concepts developed by UIC Engineering faculty members and graduate students. One day that might be writing computer code; another day, it could be robotics or biomechanics.
Students also hear about potential future careers that might await them in each engineering discipline, from nanotechnology to self-driving vehicles to creating transplant-ready organs to save lives.
Participants begin each day at UIC’s east campus and spend each of the five days of the camp in an engineering lab run by a different academic department. From morning drop-off to afternoon pickup, each participant is accompanied at all times by camp staff: faculty, graduate students, and undergraduate chaperones. All camp personnel are highly experienced and highly trained, and comprehensive background checks are performed to ensure the proper protection of minors. The expected participant-to-staff ratio is between 5 to 1 and 8 to 1.
Cost for 1 week: $500 per student
- The fee includes daily lunch, project materials and a camp t-shirt.
- Children of University of Illinois (UIC, UIUC, UIS, or System Office) employees receive a 10 percent discount.
- Optional after-care from 4pm to 6pm is available for an additional $25 per day.
- Scholarships are available to assist families who have demonstrated financial need.
Dates and age groups
- Rising 4th to 6th grade — July 11 – 15, 2022
- Rising 7th to 9th grade — July 18 – 22, 2022
- Rising 10th to 12th grade — July 25 – 29, 2022
- 8:30am – 8:50am: Drop off at 801 S. Morgan St. (UIC Daley Library)
- 9am – 12pm: Project and design challenge #1, with short break
- 12pm – 1pm: Lunch (at UIC cafeteria) and recess
- 1pm – 4pm: Project and design challenge #2 (and #3, if applicable), with short break
- 4pm: Pickup at 801 S. Morgan St.
- 4pm – 6pm: Optional after-care ($25 additional per day)
Orientation information and other details are emailed to the parents/guardians of registered participants a few weeks before the camp start date. Daily updates will also be provided during the camp.
UIC mechanical and industrial engineering faculty member Yeow Siow calls the camp ideally suited for students who are “inquisitive and curious about the world around them, want to try new things, meet new people, and use their heads and hands to solve problems.”
At UIC Engineering Experience Camp, students can discover the creative aspects of engineering while also getting a sense of what life is like as a college student.
For more information about 2022 UIC Engineering Experience Camp, contact the camp director, Dr. Zhinan Wang, at firstname.lastname@example.org.