Engineering Experience Camp
Registration now open for summer 2020!
The summer 2019 edition of UIC's Engineering Experience Camp was a tremendous success, bringing dozens of Chicago-area students to UIC for a week of hands-on activities and challenges that introduced them to the vast potential of engineering.
We will be back in summer 2020 with new programming for students who are about to enter grades 4 through 12. See below for more information.
UIC Engineering is home to multiple departments that represent different disciplines in engineering. In summer 2020, five of these departments will participate in the camp:
- Chemical engineering
- Computer science
- Electrical and computer engineering
- Mechanical and industrial engineering
Each day, students get a chance to experiment—literally—with a particular field. Participants complete hands-on challenges based on concepts developed by UIC engineering faculty members. One day that might be writing computer code; another day, it could be robotics or biomechanics.
Students also hear about potential future careers that might await them in each engineering discipline, from nanotechnology to self-driving vehicles to creating transplant-ready organs to save lives.
Participants begin each day at UIC’s east campus and spend each of the five days of the camp in an engineering lab run by a different academic department. From morning drop-off to afternoon pickup, each participant is accompanied at all times by camp staff: faculty, graduate students, and undergraduate chaperones. All camp personnel are highly experienced and highly trained, and comprehensive background checks are performed to ensure the proper protection of minors. The expected participant-to-staff ratio is between 5 to 1 and 8 to 1.
Camp dates for 2020
- Track 1 (for ages 9 to 11): July 6 – 10
- Track 2 (for ages 12 to 14): July 13 – 17
- Track 3 (for ages 15 to 17): July 20 – 24
Cost and schedule
Cost for 1 week: $500
- The fee includes daily lunch and a camp t-shirt.
- Children of University of Illinois (UIC, UIUC, UIS, or System Office) employees receive a 10 percent discount.
- Optional after-care from 4pm to 6pm is available for an additional $20 per day.
- Scholarships are available to assist families who have demonstrated financial need.
- 8:30am – 8:50am: Drop off at 801 S. Morgan St. (UIC Daley Library)
- 9am – 12pm: Project and design challenge #1, with short break
- 12pm – 1pm: Lunch and outdoor recess
- 1pm – 3pm: Project and design challenge #2 (and #3, if applicable), with short break
- 4pm: Pickup at 801 S. Morgan St.
- 4pm – 6pm: Optional after-care ($20 additional per day)
Orientation information and other details will be emailed to the parents/guardians of registered participants a few weeks before the camp start date.
Is UIC Engineering Experience Camp for you?
UIC mechanical and industrial engineering faculty member Yeow Siow calls the camp ideally suited for students who are “inquisitive and curious about the world around them, want to try new things, meet new people, and use their heads and hands to solve problems.”
At UIC Engineering Experience Camp, students can discover the creative aspects of engineering while also getting a sense of what life is like as a college student.
For more information about UIC Engineering Experience Camp, contact the camp director for 2020, Dr. Zhinan Wang, at firstname.lastname@example.org.