Engineering Experience Camp
We will come back in 2023 summer with brand-new engineering projects. We only have a few spots left. Please complete the registration soon.
Camp format Heading link
In 2023 summer, five of the UIC engineering departments will participate in the camp:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil, Materials, and Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science
- Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
This five-day program includes lunch, and optional aftercare is provided. Each day, students get a chance to experiment—literally—with a particular field. Participants complete hands-on challenges based on concepts developed by UIC Engineering faculty members and graduate students. One day that might be writing computer code; another day, it could be robotics or biomechanics.
Students also hear about potential future careers that might await them in each engineering discipline, from nanotechnology to self-driving vehicles to creating transplant-ready organs to save lives.
Participants begin each day at UIC’s east campus and spend each of the five days of the camp in an engineering lab run by a different academic department. From morning drop-off to afternoon pickup, each participant is accompanied at all times by camp staff: faculty, graduate students, and undergraduate chaperones. All camp personnel are highly experienced and highly trained, and comprehensive background checks are performed to ensure the proper protection of minors. The expected participant-to-staff ratio is between 5 to 1 and 8 to 1.
Cost and schedule Heading link
Cost for 1 Week: $500 per student
- The fee includes daily lunch, project materials, and a camp t-shirt.
- Children of University of Illinois (UIC, UIUC, UIS, or System Office) employees receive a 10% discount.
- Optional after-care from 4 pm to 6 pm is available for an additional $25 per day.
- Scholarship application is closed on March 17th.
Dates and Age Groups
- Track 1 – Rising 4th to 6th grade — July 10 – 14, 2023 (FULL)
- Track 2 – Rising 7th to 9th grade — July 17 – 21, 2023 (FULL)
- Track 3 – Rising 10th to 12th grade — July 24 – 28, 2023
- 8:30am – 8:50am: Drop off at 801 S. Morgan St. (UIC Daley Library)
- 9am – 12pm: Project and design challenge #1, with a short break
- 12pm – 1pm: Lunch (at UIC cafeteria) and outdoor recess
- 1pm – 4pm: Project and design challenge #2 (and #3, if applicable), with a short break
- 4pm: Pickup at 801 S. Morgan St.
- 4pm – 6pm: Optional after-care ($25 additional per day)
Orientation information and other details are emailed to the parents/guardians of registered participants a few weeks before the camp start date. Daily updates will also be provided during the camp period.
Is UIC Engineering Experience Camp for you? Heading link
UIC mechanical and industrial engineering faculty member Yeow Siow calls the camp ideally suited for students who are “inquisitive and curious about the world around them, want to try new things, meet new people, and use their heads and hands to solve problems.” Read the story from the 2022 Engineering Summer Camp here.
At UIC Engineering Experience Camp, students can discover the creative aspects of engineering while also getting a sense of what life is like as a college student.
Contact Heading link
For more information about the 2023 UIC Engineering Experience Camp, contact the camp director, Dr. Zhinan Wang, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The scholarship is provided by the Washington Award which is hosted by the Western Society of Engineers.