Engineering Experience Camp
The 2023 UIC Engineering Summer Experience Camp is full. Please check this page in 2024 Jan for updates. We will be back in 2024 summer with brand-new engineering projects.
Camp format Heading link
In 2023 summer, five of the UIC engineering departments will participate in the camp:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil, Materials, and Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science
- Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
This five-day program includes lunch, and optional aftercare is provided. Each day, students get a chance to experiment—literally—with a particular field. Participants complete hands-on challenges based on concepts developed by UIC Engineering faculty members and graduate students. One day that might be writing computer code; another day, it could be robotics or biomechanics.
Students also hear about potential future careers that might await them in each engineering discipline, from nanotechnology to self-driving vehicles to creating transplant-ready organs to save lives.
Participants begin each day at UIC’s east campus and spend each of the five days of the camp in an engineering lab run by a different academic department. From morning drop-off to afternoon pickup, each participant is accompanied at all times by camp staff: faculty, graduate students, and undergraduate chaperones. All camp personnel are highly experienced and highly trained, and comprehensive background checks are performed to ensure the proper protection of minors. The expected participant-to-staff ratio is between 5 to 1 and 8 to 1.
Cost and schedule Heading link
Cost for 1 Week: $500 per student
- The fee includes daily lunch, project materials, and a camp t-shirt.
- Children of University of Illinois (UIC, UIUC, UIS, or System Office) employees receive a 10% discount.
- Optional after-care from 4 pm to 6 pm is available for an additional $25 per day.
- Scholarship application is closed on March 17th.
Dates and Age Groups
- Track 1 – Rising 4th to 6th grade — July 10 – 14, 2023 (FULL)
- Track 2 – Rising 7th to 9th grade — July 17 – 21, 2023 (FULL)
- Track 3 – Rising 10th to 12th grade — July 24 – 28, 2023 (FULL)
- 8:30am – 8:50am: Drop off at 801 S. Morgan St. (UIC Daley Library)
- 9am – 12pm: Project and design challenge #1, with a short break
- 12pm – 1pm: Lunch (at UIC cafeteria) and outdoor recess
- 1pm – 4pm: Project and design challenge #2 (and #3, if applicable), with a short break
- 4pm: Pickup at 801 S. Morgan St.
- 4pm – 6pm: Optional after-care ($25 additional per day)
Orientation information and other details are emailed to the parents/guardians of registered participants a few weeks before the camp start date. Daily updates will also be provided during the camp period.