Career Prep Day
Students – Registration is required. See below.
What: Engineering Career Prep Workshop
- Career preparation workshop and networking event to connect engineering students with Engineers and Human Resources professionals! Don’t miss out on your opportunity to meet experts in your field.
- Students participate in 8-10 small group career topical discussions facilitated by engineers and career professionals
Who: Open to undergraduate engineering students
When: Friday,February 26, 2016
Where: Student Center East – Illinois Room
- 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Workshop
- 11:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Networking (This session is optional. Students may bring a resume to give to one of the volunteer mentors for networking purposes)
What you can expect: Speed networking small group discussions to explore some of the following employment topics:
- The Elevator Pitch
- How to Prepare for Interviews – What turns employers on and off?
- Social Media – What should students avoid, what sites do employers review
- LinkedIn – How do employers use LinkedIn, what do students need to have on a profile?
- Managing Multiple Job Offers
- Salary Negotiations and more……
Corporate mentors will lead interactive discussions covering these important topics! Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity to meet with professionals from various industries.
STUDENTS – REGISTRATION REQUIRED
How To Register: Students send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org In the subject line, type, “CAREER PREP Student Registration + your name. Example: CAREER PREP Student Registration Susie Smith. In your email, tell us your:
- UIC Email Address
- Your year (Frosh, Soph, Jr, Sr)
You will receive a response, verifying your registration. More information will be sent to you prior to the event.
VOLUNTEER MENTOR INFORMATION
(Hiring Engineers, HR Recruiters/Professionals)
This year, the Engineering Career Center has revamped the format for the Engineering Career Prep Day workshop. Our unique event will take a different spin on the ever-important topic of preparing our students for the job hunt.
We are searching for experienced hiring engineers and HR recruiters/managers to act as volunteer “mentor-advisors” for the morning to meet with undergraduate engineering students in organized “speed networking/discussion” groups. The topics will range from interview preparation, to salary negotiation, to professional etiquette and more.
Our “mentor-advisors” will be given an assigned discussion topic and links to read in preparation for this workshop. This will be a fun event of timed discussions (students move to a different table after approximately 8-10 minutes for another discussion topic). The “mentor-advisors” will be helping to facilitate the discussions and will provide valuable input.
Please contact us if you are interested in being a volunteer! Email us at email@example.com . Your inquiry will be answered by either Kathy Corcos or Rose Coppola-Conroy, both Assistant Directors in the Career Center. They will be delighted to discuss the event with you and see if this would be a good match. There will be other volunteer opportunities in the future, as well.
When: Friday, February 26, 2016
Time: Morning Workshop (details to follow) –
Where: UIC, Student Center East Illinois Rooms A & B –
How to Inquire / Volunteer:
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: Career Prep Volunteer + your name
We look forward to hearing from you! Email today!