The UIC College of Engineering is recognized for its academic excellence with undergraduate and graduate programs in six academic departments: Richard and Loan Hill Department of Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil and Materials Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Mechanical and Industrial Engineering.
We are the only public research university providing engineering education in the City of Chicago, we are committed to this goal. Our slogan for the College of Engineering at UIC is to provide “Access to Excellence and Success” The College of Engineering enrolled 2955 undergraduate students, 1006 masters and 489 Ph.D. students in the Fall of 2015. The College of Engineering has 143 faculty including 31 women. Our faculty are of the highest quality. In addition, 83 of our faculty are Fellows of societies such as IEEE, ACM, ASME, AAAS, and ASCE, and 30 are National Science Foundation CAREER or Presidential Young Investigator award winners.
The research programs at the UIC College of Engineering have been growing rapidly over the years and are conducted in 6 departments and 8 interdisciplinary centers. Research expenditures totaled $21.5 million for 2015. During 2015-16, we have over 172 funded projects totaling $74 million. Our faculty are involved in interdisciplinary research in the areas of bio-technology, nano-technology, information technology and infrastructure and ENERGY/environmental technology. We understand the need for engineers and for technological advances. We promise to provide our students with an exciting education that will prepare them for emerging technologies and to be adaptable and flexible for the rapidly changing world.
Our College has developed a Strategic Plan with detailed objectives and action plans for what we want to do in the areas of faculty, students, staff, curriculum, research, corporate relations, alumni relations, student career placement, and national rankings. You will see us grow in size, increasing research activity and funding, and style of education as we expand our interdisciplinary research and integrate our corporate relations with student internships and career placement in ways not seen at other institutions. I am very excited about the tremendous possibilities for the College in the near future.
We are continually improving undergraduate and graduate instructional activities and support programs and advancing our research facilities and laboratories. I invite you to visit our department and program websites to meet our fine faculty, learn about our academic and support programs and explore the range of cutting-edge engineering research at the UIC College of Engineering. Please feel free to direct questions about the college to my staff or me.
Our 23,000+ alumni and friends are invited to participate in Engineering Alumni Association activities and to share your experiences and concern.
Warm regards and thank you for your interest.
Peter C. Nelson
Dean & Computer Science Professor
UIC College of Engineering
- Our most significant impact on society is educating our students.
- A diverse university is an exceptional place for both educating students and conducting research.
- A research university is an outstanding place to receive an engineering education.
- Our educational and research programs must improve the urbanized world we live in.
Our mission is Access to Excellence and Success, providing students, and in particular underserved students, with an excellent engineering education to prepare them for meaningful work and success in the global workforce.
- Educate and train students for careers in innovation and leadership
- Expand engineering knowledge through excellence in original research
- Develop local partnerships to advance the technology sector in Chicago and Illinois
- Provide critical expertise in engineering-related issues to Chicago and Illinois
- Serve as a major economic driver to Chicago and Illinois
Vision of where we want to be in 2025:
- Our students will be globally recognized and recruited as innovators and leaders.
- Our location in one of the world’s great cities will be used to maximize learning, research, innovation and internship opportunities by leveraging local industry, government/university laboratories and the surrounding urbanized environment.
- We will be widely recognized as one of the top ten public, urban engineering colleges in the United States, with an emphasis on student access to excellence and success.