COE-2014GPIPStudents

Ninety-one freshman engineering students interned at private companies or UIC laboratories through the College’s Guaranteed Paid Internship Program in sum
mer 2014. They were the first cohort of the initiative, launched in academic year 2013-2014.

Mohammed hodaHoda (BS ’17)
Electrical & Computer Engineering Internship: Exelon Corporation

“The idea of working on big projects and seeing them implemented in front of your eyes has always been intriguing to me. Even the work that I did as an intern had an impact on the cybersecurity database used by the company. I learned a lot on the job and I’m confident that this first work experience will help me advance in my career.”

fisherRaine Fisher (BS ’17)
Chemical Engineering Internship: Baxter International Inc.

“I spent the summer writing protocols for a product to ensure that it was safe for patient use. The most challenging part of this process was trying to anticipate every way it could fail, but trying to verify that it could stand up to certain stresses was a fun learning experience and gave me confidence that I’m on the right career track.”

rubioOmar Rubio (BS ’17)
Civil & Materials Engineering Internship: UIC Environmental Engineering Laboratory

“All the hard work that was required to earn the internship definitely paid off. It was incredible to help work on the Great Lakes Sediment Surveillance Program for Professor Rockne—and now I have some experience to put on my resume.”

mohamedSara Mohamed (BS ’17)
Bioengineering Internship: UIC Acoustics and Vibrations Laboratory

“Having the hands-on experience to learn how to use Matlab and Comsol for real applications was the most satisfying part of my summer. It was my first time programming, and now I have a better understanding of the importance of running experiments while considering all outside factors.”

pisanskiDavid Pisanski (BS ’17)
Computer Science Internship: Argonne National Laboratory

“The most rewarding part of my summer was having the opportunity to develop a tool to collect performance data from programs that ran on the fifth fastest supercomputer in the world. I felt accomplished when it came time to present my work at the end of the summer.”

cruzRachel Cruz (BS ’17)
Mechanical & Industrial Engineering Internship: Deltar Fasteners, Illinois Tool Works (ITW)

“This experience has built on my knowledge from the classroom in more ways than one and has helped with some of my current courses. It’s also given me an understanding of what it takes to succeed as an engineering student.”

TAGS:2014
0